Friday, July 16, 2010

They told me I was Crazy, but I Tri-ed it anyway


They told me I was crazy, but I TRIed it anyway.
Time: 1:40:56
Swim (1/2 mile): 14.36
Trans1: 5:32
Bike (14.16 miles): 49:07
Trans2: 2:53
Run (3.1 miles): 28:50

I didn’t intentionally schedule a Relay where I’m running 34 miles within 2 days on no sleep then doing a triathlon the next day. The MC200 Relay is usually the first weekend of June and the Triathlon was usually the 3rd weekend. I learned early on that the Triathlon date changed, but I never bothered to check the Relay date. Then, as we were looking for a replacement member, I sent details to Michelle’s Husband, and cced Hugh. Hugh then corrected me on the date, and I looked at the calendar and thought “uh oh, I double booked myself” So, most would say, don’t do one of them...especially since I didn’t register for the triathlon yet, BUT I had mentally committed to both, so I couldn’t back out on either. People called me crazy, people doubted I could do it…but obviously…those people don’t really know me now do they?

If you want to learn about the Relay, details can be found on our team blog:
http://amazingjourneywithcheese.blogspot.com/
The simple facts are this: The relay started at 10am on Friday. We left Chicago at 5am meaning I woke up around 4:30am. The relay is a 200 mile relay starting in Madison ending in Chicago via Milwaukee. We signed up as an ultra team- 6 people, meaning double the miles my total distance was 34 miles. I started to get a sore throat Thursday night, and by Friday morning my throat was killing and I was congested. I didn’t get much food in me on the trip, as I tend to lose my appetite when I don’t get sleep and run lots. I had the opportunity to sleep but I couldn’t fall asleep. So by the finish at 3pm on Saturday, I was a mess. All in all it was a good mess though- great memories and averaged an 8:50/mile pace.

I got home by 4:45 and just crawled into bed, asleep by 5pm. At 9pm my alarm went off to call Jen and discuss logistics on the Triathlon, then I repacked for the Tri, forced some food down (uploaded pics on face book) and then went back to bed, waking up at 3:30am and out the door by 4:00.

Andrea and her family stayed out in Naperville. So we all met at her Hotel. Andrea and Jen had figured all the logistics down to the T. It was nice because they planned for this so much, all I had to do was show up and follow their lead. They even picked up my race packet since it was during my relay time.

We got our transition area all set up and met up with Jen’s coworker, Tracy and went down to the start. This race starts in waves every 4 minutes, so we weren’t scheduled to go until 8:32. It was broken down by age brackets and we were wave 24. I love the number 24, so though I had doubts in my ability to get this race done strong after 34 miles and little sleep and probably malnourished, I decided wave 24 was a good sign.

It has been cold, and we were advised to bring a wetsuit and decide on race day if we needed it. I have yet to buy my own so thanks Alexis for yours again! I did not end up needing it- it was a beautiful day!

We were finally up, and off we went. At first this start was easier than the last triathlon, I think because I knew what to expect with heads up and no real swimming. Then I got the itch to pass people but couldn’t get around or through them. So I just kept having to slow down or stop sometimes. As we turned I continued to try to get around people, and after the first 2 turns I was in a good place, and was actually swimming. I really liked that. I used my arms almost 100% letting my poor legs have a rest. I was worried about the run through the sand on my used legs, but they worked just fine. I then ran barefoot to the transition area (saw Sarah, Andrea’s sister) and proceeded to dry off. The run to the transition area was nearly a quarter of a mile so that was loads of fun on bare feet.

I kept looking for Jen and Andrea, as I knew they weren’t far behind. When they got to the bikes, we exchanged a few words and then I was off. I was also worried about mounting my bike…just those things that you take advantage of until your legs have 34 miles under them and then you feel it all…but it wasn’t that bad. I saw Steve and Jen’s mom, waved and went on my way.

I knew my dad was coming down and my uncle was joining him, but it was a last minute plan and I was so busy with the relay plans that I just gave him Steve’s number and hoped they’d meet up and figure all out. Unfortunately, that voicemail cut out so he couldn’t understand a few numbers.

As I hit mile 3 we turned and we hit some wind, then we turned another corner and the wind came on stronger, and just at that moment, as I thought I was going to allow myself to slow and baby myself - with the excuse of the Relay, Andrea passed me. I decided to make it a goal to keep up with her, or keep her in sight. We made the first lap, and she was pretty far ahead. Then the 2nd lap I was all warmed up and could see her again. I exchanged a few words with another biker, as it was their first lap and I told them about the wind, then I picked it up. By the finish, I finished right behind Andrea, so we ran our bikes in together, and started the run together.

It was real nice to start the run together. Somewhere as we started we passed my dad but we missed each other. At about a half mile, my legs felt a little less wobbly so I picked it up a little and said bye to Andrea. There was a lot of gradual uphill, and then finally there was a lot of down. The route was real nice and scenic. The end was through a park, at which time I picked my pace to how I wish it was for the entire run. The first 2.5 miles were like I had run 34 miles on the prior two days, then the last part, I got my running legs back and it felt good!

As I crossed the finish, Steve and Jen’s Mom were right there so I knew where to go when I finished. Andrea finished 2ish minutes after me, and I got to see Jen finish. I was so proud as she finished real strong, and it was great to do this with them and see them get into the race. I don’t know if I can get them to do another any time soon, but they rocked it so I’m sure there is another in them.

We all went out for breakfast. My appetite still wasn‘t really there, but it was nice to be out with Jen, her mom, Steve, Andrea, her parents, my Dad and Mom’s Uncle Chuck. 3 days, about 12 hours of sleep (that inlcudes Thursday night sleep, otherwise 8 hours), 34 miles of running a relay, ½ mile swim, 15mile bike, and another 5k Run, I was exhausted. The start of a cold on Thursday, was in full swing by Sunday afternoon. Good thing Greg is wonderful- I didn’t scare him away with all my nose blowing, coughing, sneezing and post nasal drain- instead he took care of me and still wanted to hang out even though all I did was all of the above (nose blowing, coughing, sneezing, complain about post nasal drain) and watch TV (and beat him at War).

So crazy? Maybe, but I TRIed it anyway….and succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment