Friday, July 16, 2010

Krytponite


Kryptonite
Flying Pig Marathon 5/3/09
Cincinnati, Ohio
4:11:26

When it comes to running, what’s your Kryptonite? Mine is hills, rolling hills. The next 3 marathons planned are what I call some deadly Marathons. You can’t run a marathon in every state and avoid hills. Actually, you will almost always find hills, but then there are marathons that are known for their difficult hills. Cincinnati is one of them, and when I finished, I felt worse than I’ve ever felt in a marathon, maybe ever.

Hills were probably not the only factor to how I felt, but I do believe, they are my kryptonite. For 2009, I was already satisfied with New Orleans being my PR of the year and the next three marathons would be hill marathons so I would just make some fun with them. Then Greg had to make one of his comments that he would be disappointed if I didn’t finish in a sub 4hour marathon. Now, he wasn’t serious, but I tend to find the serious in what he says. Part of what he said was – how will you know if you can do it if you don’t try? And that was true, I already wrote off that I won’t PR anymore this year, but if I felt as good as I did on the second half and finish of the New Orleans marathon, why don’t I push it a little more on the front end and see what I can do?

Two weeks prior to this marathon, I completed my first triathlon in California. I still trained the usual miles for the marathon (maybe 3ish miles less per weekly average), but added in swimming and biking. I started running with my MC200 Relay group (mainly Hugh) and we were averaging about a 9:15 pace. My 20 mile run was in California, trying to train on some hills, my average started off strong at about an 8:50 minute mile (I would try slowing but it felt so good I kept it there), but the more hills I hit, the more I slowed down and then I did walk some, so my average ended at 9:30 minute mile.

As the Indy Mini was the same weekend, Alexis and I had a little Pasta dinner on Thursday night. Rachel J. was not able to make it due to school, but also, all her injuries that have been attempted to heal quickly, have caught up to her and she finally had to sit out a half marathon to recover (and we hope she will be fully recovered for the NY Marathon). Part of Pasta night, of course was to see who Baby Jesus would join on this race weekend. We got a banana cream pie, and Ross took the liberty to stuff him in and re-frost the top. Alexis ended up getting baby Jesus, though tragic events lead to the loss of baby Jesus (at least for this race weekend).

Greg joined me on this trip. I felt kind of bad, because I am not much fun race weekends, I get moody and go to bed early (which he would probably say he’s used to). We ended up driving to Cincinnati, leaving after work on Friday and returning Chicago by Sunday night. This is the shortest trip for a marathon with travel I’ve had. We stayed with Erik and Jenny, and did some sight seeing Saturday (including crossing into Kentucky and eating there). Jenny, Erik, Greg and I went to Bella Luna for dinner. Side note on Bella Luna in Cincinnati – don’t eat there. The food was okay, but the owner of the place was a complete jerk to Erik and Jenny (especially Jenny). Then I think when he realized he was such a jerk, or how unhappy Jenny was, he came to our table and pushed the discomfort level where it was like, he wasn’t going to leave until we acted like we were happy with him – no free food, just a lot of discomfort.

I got up in the morning, with Greg driving me to the start. The race seemed well organized. We started on time, there was plenty of water along the course, and it wasn’t too horribly crowded. What was new to me in this race was the concept of people completing the marathon in a 4 person relay team. I don’t like to be a snob to shorter distance runners, because anyone trying to run any distances is great in my book. But when I am at my 21st mile, and there is a switch off and you have energetic relay people joining you from 21 to 26, it’s very annoying to see them a) pass you b) act like they are tired when they are at there mile 4. The upside with having a relay option is usually, when marathons split with the half marathon course, the marathoners lose all roadside support. With the relay team, it’s like we had cheerleaders the whole way.

The race started and we had a few ‘warm up’ hills with the bridges going in and out of Kentucky. Some rain was just clearing up, and we were looking at an overcast perfect running weather day. I however, couldn’t get into a groove. I was running strong but not getting into a pattern. Turning on and off my music as I went. Crossing over our third Bridge, this kid was running and asked me, do you have a watch, and do you know our pace? In conversation, I learned he wanted to run a sub 2 hour half marathon and he was all worried already at mile 3. I wonder how he did. I also chatted with some people just before the hills that lived in Cincinnati the guy was pacing the lady at a 4 hour marathon to qualify for Boston. It made me think- what age group can qualify for Boston at a 4 hour marathon. I guess that’s the 45-49 age group (learned this after looking it up).

I never have had a problem with worrying about the charge on my iPod shuffle, and of course, the day it dies, I’m at mile 8 of the marathon, running against my kryptonite. This is where I became even more appreciative of the roadside support than most times (I also was thankful to have my phone, as I posted a facebook message about the iPod around mile 10. The race chip that they used for this race was the big chip. I tied it to my shoe, which this was the first time (minus the triathlon) I had used this chip, and when I tied it to my shoe, I did not realize how it would rub against my ankle. It was bothering me early on but I hoped I could ignore it. Around mile 15, I finally decided I would stop to adjust that on one of the up hills. This probably took about a minute- as it was tied up in my laces and I had to figure out how to readjust. That helped the pain in that foot some (as I have lost some skin right there), but I was ready to slow it down a bit more, up until now I was running about a 9:15 pace.

Around mile 18 as we were more on a down hill than up, I realized even the down was hurting, so I texted Greg saying the 4 hour wasn’t going to happen (also meaning, no need to rush to the finish line). He was trying to keep me positive, but the thing about me is- I motivate others on running, but I don’t take the attempts of others to motivate me so well. I know myself, I know how I feel in marathons and the outcomes, and this was not a sub 4 hour marathon, there was no “kick it” in me – it would only slow down more and more. At one point I even thought to myself, “Ok Ohio, lets get you done, and put you behind me”

At mile 24, I was really wishing this was the Country Music Marathon, where I had Rachel A. come find me my last few miles and keep me company to the end. The last mile, I tried my best to look strong as I was seeing my visitors at the finish. I was looking for them on the left side, but that was tiring me out and at one point, I actually thought I was going to get sick right then and there. So I looked forward trying to keep a grin on my face (if you smile, your body thinks you are happy- I swear!). They said my name before I crossed the finish and I put up my hands at that point (dropped them quickly) and finished. Erik, Jenny and Greg were viewing from above, and got some pics/video footage. After looking at those pictures- that’s how high the professional people should be to get a slender decent look when one is looking horrid from the marathon!

After I finished, I was struggling with cramps. I thought I was okay- but the moment I stopped walking, waiting for bag retrieval, I got lightheaded and had to sit. Sitting was difficult with the cramping but I got down and just laid there for about 5 minutes. I called Rachel and Alexis, crying to them. I’ve never felt that bad after a marathon, I’m a strong runner, I’m ‘superman’. I’ve been improving my marathons, and then I had this and felt horrible. After chatting I decided the first 20 miles were the hardest I’ve pushed myself on a 20 mile run- even if it wasn’t my fastest 20, I was against my kryptonite so I had to work extra hard for those 20 miles which made the last 6.2 miles even more difficult. We will see how I approach the next two helly marathons (yes I said helly not hilly). Rachel and Alexis assured me that I’m still their hero, which though I don’t think I’m all that worthy of the title, they’ve always said I was, so I like being an inspiration and thinking of myself as a hero. Also, Erik was part of the “Irisa and Company” back on my 3rd marathon in Madison, and he noted he thinks I’ve come a long way since then, so I have to remember, I’m improving, but it doesn’t mean I have to have a PR every marathon.

My friends have answered the question “If I go crazy then will you still call me super man?” YES :)

No comments:

Post a Comment