Friday, July 16, 2010

I'm (loving) Blue


Pine Mountain Trail Ultramarathon, Georgia
10 Hrs 13 minutes
State #10

Statistics:
6 falls
5 large bruises with bumps
4 gu-s
3 times getting lost
2 nights sleeping in a tent- in December
1 flesh wound
Infinite amount of pride.

There is a Sex and the City episode where Samantha says she is a try-sexual. She’ll try everything once. I’d call myself try-venterous. I’ll try adventurous things at least once. And a Mountain Trail Ultra Marathon including camping in December, this might go in that once category.

So back up to the day I decided I wanted to do an Ultra Marathon. My friend Jen (AKA ‘Ultra Jen’) is an ultra marathon girl. If anyone thinks I’m hardcore crazy – she’s like 10 times ‘worse.’ I told her last winter I’d love to try an ultra if she would pick a state I have not done yet and have it sometime in November or December of 2008. So she found this one- the Pine Mountain 40 mile Ultra Marathon. So I signed up without much thought. She told me the reason why she loves ultra marathons rather than marathons is bc they are more chill. You can walk and not care bc you are going so far and you get all sorts of good food on the run.

Next came time to start planning the logistics of the trip. After just booking and paying for my San Antonio trip, I wanted to make Georgia as cheap as possible, so when Jen suggested camping, I said “okay.” Forgetting that it’s December and Georgia, though in the south, can still get a bit cold.

I planned my training long run mileage after San Antonio to be 12, 20 then 12. The first 12 was fun with the STAR runners, Rachel and Alexis sounded like they are getting excited for our trip to New Orleans in February. For the 20 miler, I was back in Wisconsin for Thanksgiving. Kelly Soch is training for her first marathon and her group let me join them. We ran by the lakefront and through Shorewood and Whitefish Bay so it was nice to see all the big homes. It was such an enjoyable run I added an extra mile and ended it with walking up a big set of stairs at the end.

As I got home from that run, I had a text from Jen. It said “Are you ready for next week!?” I had to take a double take when I realized, I added an extra week that didn’t exist. This didn’t just throw training off, but my life. I thought I had an extra week before Christmas was actually here an extra week to get things done at work before year end, and a weekend in Chicago – but I was wrong.

In a quick moment, the Georgia trip was here. We arrived in Atlanta and got a red hot PT Cruiser for our rental car. As we made our way to Pine Mountain we had to make a stop to get a few additional camping supplies. We drove to Columbus which is just minutes away from the Alabama border. Since we were so close we made our way to Phenix, Alabama trying to grab a beer and lunch. Here is the scene: Walk in Bar. Toothless fat bearded man “Hot Damn! Where ya’ll come from?” Jen: “Umm no” Exit bar. Head back to Georgia laughing all the way back.

At Pine Mountain- Though Jen might beg to differ, she proved to know her wilderness ways. She managed to pack lighter than me and she had all the supplies/tents. My check in luggage was a big bag but could only fit my air mattress, sleeping bag and pillow. I took up 2/3 of the tent while she took up 1/3. She made the fire made me food and I played on the internet on my phone. I hung out in the heated bathroom as much as possible, while she read her book by the campfire. I like camping, but I like camping when the nights don’t fall below 50 degrees.

So the ultra: We were able to pack a drop bag we were able to get to at miles 14 and 28. I wore shorts and wind pants, a headband, gloves, short sleeved shirt, arm warmers and a fleece. We started just after 7am when it was still a little dark. There was 100 of us on a narrow trail all keeping pace for the first 3 miles.

In those first few miles, Jen mentions that she’s only not fallen on one trail run. I think, oh great, she’s telling me this now!? I didn’t’ sign up to fall! (I would learn that I was neck deep in lots of things I didn’t sign up for). We decided the first person to fall had to slam a beer at the end of the run. There were lots of times you would trip but you would catch yourself. I started to realize my abs were also getting a good workout on this run with the trips. 1/10th of the way into the run, I was the first on down. I got back up just as fast as I fell, but that was it: I had to chug my first beer. There were many more close calls after that. I came to be a tree hugger in the sense that when I’d trip, I’d grab the nearest tree to catch my fall. I soon learned my abs AND arms were getting a good workout.

Those first 8 miles seemed real long. Because the trail wasn’t really cleared we had to be real careful on the downs and the ups sometimes were so steep there was no point in trying to run them. At the 14 mile bag drop check point I was nervous. It already took us 3 ½ hours to get there and we only had 10 ½ hours to finish the race. Jen told me not to worry we were in the middle of the pack, but if I wanted to I could pick up the pace and shorten my stops- we would just separate. So I picked up the pace, passed a few people, chatted with a nice older man. I told him about my fear of not making it in the finish time, he was experienced and said, I would be fine. I then caught up to a couple about my age and at that same time we saw people just kind of wandering.

If I have failed to explain already, this was not your ordinary trail run. We were in the mountains, the leaves were covering the trails, rocks and roots everywhere, sometimes the path was narrow and the only way to go was forward or down. Sometimes you had to cross a creek by walking across a log or jump from rock to rock (sometimes missing and stepping in the water). Sometimes you had to pull yourself up and over rocks and trees in the way. The only way you knew you were on the right track was to follow the blue ‘blaze’ marks on trees and rocks.

The people wandering were the first time we got lost. We didn’t know if we needed to cross the creek or go straight, we decided on crossing the creek but not sure which way to go next. We all started wandering in search of the blue blaze for about 10 minutes. I was pretty far out in one direction when you heard one call out “found it” and so we all started running in that direction. This wasn’t the last time we got lost. There were two other times that I just stopped and waited for someone to catch up to me so we’d look for the right direction together. Every time I’d see blue blaze after I hadn’t in awhile I’d say to it (yes, sometimes I’d say it out loud) “I’ve never been so happy to see the color blue!” When Jen and I were still running together, I did manage to tell her I was thinking of songs for my title of this write up and was thinking of blue songs and all I could think of was that song that went “I’m blue dabadeedabada” I’m sure you know the song

We got to an easy path that was pretty clear. I felt for the first time I could really just run. It felt so good and made me real happy to be able to be running at a good pace, catching speed as I went. And just as easy as the run felt, I ran between two trees and tripped on an uplifted root and was down for the count. That one hurt. My legs cramped up, I had a small scratch on my hand and I laid there for a moment while I settled the cramps in my legs, I stood up, looked around, and continued running. It wasn’t until the next day; I found the big bruises that are the bad kind that include a bump.

There was part of this stretch that brought me back to childhood memories, how we’d run through the woods behind Summitview and climb over and around trees trying to find and make the woods an obstacle course sometimes getting lost but we knew we’d either make our way out to the backyards on Sunset or the School or our home street. This was a little different; I was in Georgia, in the FDR state park, in the mountains.

As made it through some obstacles, I picked up some speed again, and tripped and fell again. This time it wasn’t too bad. Just some cramping and a guy saw me fall and helped me up. We stuck together for a few miles then he took off.

Somewhere in all of this I had a missed call from Jared and Andrea. I called them back, I’m pretty sure they were drunk on a Sunday Funday but enjoyed talking and laughing with them for a bit getting my mind off the run. I also called Alison because texting her back was too tough. I told her I needed motivation, some inspiration, something to get me through this so she gave me some fuel.

Around mile 25 I warmed up enough to take the fleece off. Then, as if I didn’t learn from the last two falls: Leaves hide what lies beneath, I tripped again. This fall was bad. Down a rocky hill so I not only hit the ground but I kind of kept sliding down a big. I took out a large chunk of skin on my hand, cut through my pants, cut my knee, giving me another two bruises and cuts on my left knee and right arm. I once again just laid there for a minute as people saw me fall and helped me up. They asked if I needed the aid station people to come get me – but come on, that’s not my style! So with my bloody hand, I put on my gloves to act as a bandage and kept on my way. The fear of falling again made me extra prudent as I walked on any rocky dangerous looking areas.

Then came the bitchiest of all the mountains. It was switchback after switchback going all the way up. I thought I was going to die. But I didn’t, it just took a lot out of me. I made it to the 28 mile checkpoint where they did not have anything for me to clean my wound or bandages to put over it. What they did have was Ibuprofen so I figured it had been awhile since the Excedrin at mile 14 so I was due for more drugs. I should take a moment and note what I consumed on this 10 hour journey. I was looking forward to all the goodies Jen told me they’d have, but of course, when I’m running I don’t really like food. I ended up consuming 1 oreo, ¼ slice of pb&j, a handful of M&Ms, a pretzel, a chip, a banana, a bunch of Gatorade lots of coke and 4 gu-s.

With a bathroom stop (the wilderness way) and getting lost again and onto counting my steps running: 100 one foot and 100 on the other (the goal was to get to 100 before tripping or hitting a massive hill…a lot of times this went down to 50 or 25 steps) – since most of the time nobody was around I’d actually count out loud, concentrating on the steps not the pain – I swear it works! I was 10 minutes from the cut off at the next checkpoint. (What I mean here is they have specific times you have to make the aid stations/checkpoints and if you aren’t there in X amount of time, they disqualify you from the race).

The next few miles were a loop that I stuck with another guy (There were 20 girls on this run so the guy to girl ratio was 1 girl to every 4 guys). It was one big bad mountain with steep ups then steep downs. I lost the guy for a bit as I stopped on the up thinking I just might die and was so tempted to lay down right there and be done – just rest! Once I got up I called Alexis saying just that. I’m going to die and want to quit – but she ignored that and just pumped me up with some motivation (I was getting delusional so exact words aren’t remembered, I’m sure I was just extremely whiney).

After my phone talk, I got to power walking and running when the trail was a running spot and caught up to the one guy I had been running with for awhile. We were walking down some stones when I slipped and fell backwards catching myself on my cut up hand (with the glove on). After I got done swearing up a storm, and the guy helping me up, we got to the last official checkpoint together and were told we were still 10 minutes ahead of cut off. We had a little under 5 miles left. We figured if we could stick at a 16 minute mile we’d make it. I said, all we have to do is run every flat/safe area we get and if we walk as fast as we can up the mountains we would be fine. We were on a part that had mile markers, so we timed one of those miles. It was at a 19 minute mile. I started talking about other marathon/ultra marathons in Georgia with the guy I was with, as if I didn’t finish this, it doesn’t count as a state completed. I decided if you make the last checkpoint, they should let your time count as official even if it’s over 10 ½ hours. The guy laughed and was like “that’s not how it works”

I made it on another incline, worried about the cut off, I could have taken a breathtaking picture of an amazing view, at the top looking over so much of the grounds we covered, but I was hanging onto hope that somehow I would make it just under 10 ½ hours so I shouldn’t waste time on a picture.

I came up to an older man at this point and asked him if he thought we were going to make it, he said “I don’t know, I’m not optimistic” I figured, I better not stay with him, I stand a better chance if I go ahead. I then started running and praying – that somehow I could find it in me or that there were no more inclines. As I was going up and to a road I had to cross. There was an unofficial aid staition – a guy with a little bit of coke left, I chugged down two glasses, nearly in tears going on saying “I’m not going to make it, do you think I’m going to make it?” He kept saying, I am looking good (I ran up that hill bc I saw him and thought he was at the 2.2 mile to finish mark, but he then told me I had 3 miles left). I did not have enough in me to let tears flow out but I started to beg him. I said “Please, let there be no more hills, I can’t take any more ups, I’m going to get sick” and his response was “Honey, It’s all downhill from here” I said “Are you kidding me? That can’t be possible” He told me he wasn’t lying, I wanted to hug him but instead I went along. He guided me across the street patted me on the back and I went on my way.

Run walking I saw more people telling me, the blue blaze ends and to follow the blue flags, they will take me to the finish. They told me I had about 2miles left. So I continued to run walk. Of course, there was a tree that was not high enough for me to go under but I had to use upper body strength as well as kick up my legs up and over to get around. I then made a wrong turn as I couldn’t find the flags but realized right away I wasn’t in the right way as 3 other guys come running at a pretty good speed passing me. I caught onto their train and started running with them. It hurt but at the same time I looked at the time, and knew I had 40 minutes left to finish 2 miles and if the guy wasn’t lying, that there weren’t any more hills, I was going to make this. I lost the train for awhile, but later passed a few of those individually.

Just as I was a quarter mile to the finish, I was passing a man I had seen often on the trail. I told him this was my first, and it was hell. He said he has run Pikes Peak twice and thought this was worse. We could see the clearing of the open field and heard the cheering. He told me, this was my first so go ahead and get to the finish. So, after 40 miles, I saw that end crossed over a wooden bridge and then sprinted (I think?) to the finish. Jen was there taking pictures cheering me on and as I reached the clock that was turning 10hrs and 13 minutes I started to ask the officials at the finish “Is this really it? You guys aren’t messing with me are you!? I did it!?” And I did- I finished. I followed the blue all the way home, made it to the end.

Unfortunately, Jen did not make one of the check points. The first time she has ever gotten an incomplete (and she is truly an Ultra Marathon Goddess). She started apologizing saying “I thought you were going to slug me, I never knew this one was going to be this tough” Because I finished, because I didn’t die, she only got hugs, not slugs. Though I wasn’t going to lie, I kept thinking WTF, Jen told me Ultras were chill and laid back and I have never worked that hard in my life. That was the most challenging mentally and physically thing I have ever accomplished. It wasn’t just a 40 mile run. It was a 40 mile mountain climb, rock climb, obstacle course run/walk with the big bad cut off time chasing me.

As I took off my glove I had a big bad chunk of skin missing and in its place were dirt/rocks. Running water over the cut didn’t remove the dirt, I had to remove it myself- rubbing paper towel over an open wound is not what I call fun, and the peroxide after sucked even more- but I was alive, I did it. Jen then told me she learned that if you made it to the last checkpoint you could finish at a reasonable time beyond the 10 ½ hours to have it count as official. The 10 ½ hours is for you to get the finisher’s prize of a “fancy fleece” Interesting…there was no point in the near tears in that last hour. I was home free after that last checkpoint…but I do love my fancy fleece!

My post race pain is not that of post marathon pain. My L\legs are double the pain, then my arms are in pain (they were cramping up like the legs cramp up), I feel like I got beat up. To get into bed I have to use my hands to lift my legs. To sit down and stand up – well I don’t know how I’m doing that with the cut up hand I can’t use it to lift me or sit down. I’m not too sure if this is a one time thing, or if I’ll do another. As I sit here typing up my experience, I actually think maybe I have it in me to do another, not of this level of difficulty but another trail marathon or another easier ultra marathon. I know Jen has some planned out for me. So we will see.

I have 10 states complete, 40 left. Once my results are officially posted, I can join the 50 marathons in 50 states club. The goal I set this summer for 2008 is complete. Now it’s time to add in more cross training. 2009 will be about 4 marathons and a few tri-athalons- a first for those. I am curious how this will compare to an Ironman. I am thinking they will be equally painful things, but completely different experiences – and I don’t think the Ironman will leave me bruised and cut up like this.

During the ultra marathon, I was following blue, and now with all of my bruises…..I’m blue....but loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment