Friday, July 16, 2010

Life is Highway


Life is a Highway
Thunder Road Marathon, NC
Dec. 12, 2009State #15
3hrs 48min 05sec

I have made many trips to Charlotte, so this wasn’t new territory. What did I know about Charlotte? Every time I visit, I run; from 2005 when I just started marathoning, weeks of analyst training, 2007 running with Nico while we had offsite “CAP” work, 2008 with Amanda before heading to Charleston for Jen’s wedding, 2009 in August as Charlotte was the end of a busy 5 day travel for work (and quick stop in Jacksonville to see Irisa). Every time I run in Charlotte, the hills get the best of me and my runs turn into run/walks. Philadelphia was 3 weeks earlier. After Philly I decided I needed to get the passion of running back. So, no time goals in Charlotte, rather I let it be a run/walk/no watch and just enjoy it Marathon …Even if that meant a 5 hour marathon. For the first time, in all of my training since probably 2008, I let myself slack on my mileage. I ran at max, an 8 mile run, a few 6s and mostly 4s and 3s and lots of days off. Part of the reason for cutting the mileage down was because of my schedule, part of it was because I have an acute injury: my inserts for the Philly marathon were cut short and my big left toe (the one with the blister) was hanging over a little. When I started running again after Philly sharp pains would run through my foot on mileage as low as 3 miles. Also, after laying down, when I would first step on my foot there is a tingling sensation like the toes are asleep. It was getting better so I figured I could still struggle through a marathon without further damage since I got new inserts.After Philly, I had 2 days in Chicago, 5 days in Connecticut/New York, 3 days in Chicago, 3 days in Miami, then 4 days in Chicago before heading to Charlotte for the marathon. Yes, I have bags under my eyes, yes, I’m tired. While I love every single one of my travels and wouldn’t want to cancel a single one of them to get rest…I really could use the rest.So, this trip I was able to manage to make it a 4 day trip with some work intertwined. Friday I got in early, and my Credit Manager, Alice, got me access to her building and let me use her office since she was out. I had a great lunch with an attorney I work with, and Monday is saved for site visits. When I was here in August, I met my new favorite Receivership company (if you don’t know what a receiver is…don’t worry about it, just know I work with them). We hit it off right away- Chip and David are both crazy triathletes and they like schmoozing the Bank They told me that when I came into town for the Marathon they’d take me out…which they did more than just take me out (read further).The morning of the marathon, when I woke up, the foot pain was there, which I thought I was at least over the waking up and having pain and this scared me a bit. It was 27 degrees which was similar to Indiana, but it was only going to warm up to 37ish degrees through the run. At the last minute, I decided to wear Capri length pants and my long sleeved shirt under my black jacket. I was real nervous about this, I ALWAYS wear shorts when I run marathons. Amanda drove me to the start which was great because we could wait IN the convention center. I waited for the start alone and in silence. I was real nervous for some reason, which this was supposed to be the fun marathon, I think it was because I wanted so much to enjoy the run and just didn’t know what would happen with my foot.I lined up by the 4:30s, but as we took off, my pace took me faster, and of course I decided to let this be a feel-good run so I just let my legs take me. Water was a little difficult to get at first but got better as time passed. There was a guy wearing a shirt that he was getting married “TODAY” So, of course I wanted to talk with him. His wife was supportive, but she was getting ready for the wedding. He didn’t admit it but his friend did when I asked him if he was addicted much (But I wasn’t judging, I liked this idea). Around mile 5 a car was actually trying to push its way to cross the street, the people cheering yelled at them and stopped them. Thank you cheer people! I was cruising along. Now here is where our Receiver’s schmoozing (David you know I’m joking but I can’t help but call it that ) is taken to a new level. David said he’d jump in and join me for a few miles since we passed near his house. We texted some and we missed each other the first try, but he quickly got over to about mile 13. His few miles turned into a half marathon run for him, but I got the verbal tour of where we were and things to see and really enjoyed the company. We talked a little bit about work, and more about any crazy running and triathlon type stories. We kept passing people he had been out with the night before, so he got to make them think he went out, drank AND ran the full marathon. I just realized I have not once talked about the hills yet. Yes, the hills were bad. A few statistics reported were something like this: Mile 1 was 90 feet decline, mile 2 90 feet incline, total climb of 1168 feet and total elevation change of 2349 feet. I don’t know if this was worse than Cincinnati, I would need to really compare the elevation maps. I think in Cincinnati, the hills had more of a ‘no end’ but Charlotte you just had to make yourself tough it out for a few minutes before you could go down again. Since the hills started early on, I think they felt a little more natural too, though sometimes like around mile 11 I was real tired and wanting to walk. I don’t think we first walked until after mile 20 – and I did allow walks, but only 100 feet or so before starting back up to run. Since I had David with me, I didn’t curse at myself for little moments of walking or for anything else, I just kept running and the miles kept passing. (If you are a Bank and looking for a Receiver, pre and post foreclosure in the Carolinas…I’ll give you their contact information) they aren’t just good at schmoozing, they are good at their jobs too).As I approached the finish, David jumped out, and I crossed the finish, to see Amanda cheering at the finish. 4 weeks of travel, 2 marathons, good times with friends and family – Life is a Highway, I want to ride it all night long!

No comments:

Post a Comment