Friday, September 9, 2011

The Ironman Journey- Part 8 (I'm WAY behind on the pictures!)

The Ironman Journey Part 8 – Phase V complete: Respect the Taper!

Phase V was the final phase, the Taper also known as the Active Recovery, a whole four weeks! I am always told to remember to respect the taper and I managed to keep that drilled in my brain over the last few weeks, I have to follow my schedule which means, no extra. I might have added in an extra muscle conditioning class in the first few weeks, but I knew to keep it to the plan the last two weeks.

In this phase, I realized something I didn’t realize in the competitive stage. I think I was so busy being in motion, that it wasn’t until the moment I was given a rest that I noticed all the work I had put in. Sleeping in came easy. Actually, waking up became difficult. I was shocked seeing as I moved from the Midwest to the West Coast and so when I would wake up at 8am that was really like Chicago’s 10am so when I would sleep in until 10am- that was like NOON, I don’t know when I slept in until noon without the help of alcohol making me hungover..

I managed to do a good job with the sleep, 7 to 8 hours most nights. I drinking in moderation have come more naturally in San Francisco, but I do admit, until the last week, I was still enjoying wine. Also, since moving to San Francisco, I started drinking coffee regularly. I decided in my last week to cut out the coffee, and most caffeine in hopes that any caffeine consumed at the Ironman would actually do its job.

Then there is the whole hunger thing and as always noted- the weight gain. Since I’m technically homeless, I don’t have access to a scale, and that’s probably a good thing. The Taper has made me feel like a sloth, and worse, I might not have been hungry in the competitive stage because I was too busy to notice, but in the taper stage, the hunger pains came back full force and I probably fell into sweets more than I should have. I figured I would just feed the hunger, and after the ironman comes working from Ground Zero. (Note- at weigh in for ironman it is confirmed, 8 lbs gained since the start of training).

What is Ground Zero? That is that what I am calling life after the Ironman. I have been told how much the Ironman itself will take everything out of me, which means you have to rebuild thereafter. And at my Ground Zero comes the focus of shorter workouts, higher intensity, and interval work. Julie, my dear roomy is all about the shorter workouts, higher intensity and interval work, and she just so happens to be a newly trained personal trainer- eager to kick my butt! So, every time I feel the pants be annoyingly tight, I just tell myself, ground zero is just around the corner.

Back to the last phase…Respect the Taper! As I started to rest, I also started to regain energy, and realize that all the work I put in over the earlier 33 weeks really paid off. Though it is all about endurance training, when you take out the endurance, the shorter workouts become stronger and faster!
I managed to bike out in Half Moon Bay with one of my new bike friends, and went and completed 65 miles on a double paradise loop with another one of my new bike friends. After the 65 mile bike, I had a 6 mile run. This 6 mile run might have been the fastest I’ve run 6 miles at 48 minutes.
My final longer workout weekend was a mile swim on Saturday and a double brick of 10/2 on Sunday. Because of the ability to swim and bike out in Healdsburg by Tommy’s on Sunday, I put the two workouts together (technically it’s not overdoing it- I rested on Saturday). This was a great end to the training. The swim was a lot of fun, didn’t feel like a full mile, and was the first time in open water since I moved to San Francisco (no wetsuit though- so awesome!). After that swim, I got on my bike and managed to complete the 10 miles in 33 minutes, which included a decent amount of climbing. It was sunny and hot on the run, but it was just two miles and at a comfortable pace I completed it in just less than 16 minutes. I told myself, anything I did in the first 10/2 I had to do just as well or better on the 2nd. The Bike I ended up completing 30 seconds slower; however I also modified the bike and included a very large climb so I found that acceptable. Though it took work, I managed to complete the run in 15:30. Any other workouts of the week were just play- and I knew I was ready for the Ironman.

So beyond training, this is the time when people put in their two cents. Everyone means well, but I have learned to pick and choose what I listen to- though I have to admit the stuff I don’t want to listen to gives me high anxiety to hear (which is exactly why I can’t listen to it).

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of Phase 5 Training: What I have learned about my racing is this: My happy zone is training, but you turn training into racing and I tense up. I tend to have morbid/negative thoughts like, what if I get a flat and can’t get it changed, what if someone on the swim hits me and I lose my goggles..what if the most ridiculous thing happens and I don’t finish- I know it’s ridiculous- but this is what happens when I think about racing.
I was given the most real insight to my racing less than a week before the race. I need to be relaxed.
Carlos- Julie’s friend told me professional athletes play their sports relaxed and that’s why they can play so well. So, I continue to work on reducing the tension and anxiety when I think of the ironman. I close my eyes and think about all my favorite training moments. Then I also think of the positive support I’ve been given- it’s just about finishing- pay no attention to the time. Be happy with making it to the start, be happy with the journey! I picture someone who makes me happy, telling me this and I’m a little calmer. .I have to go back to phase III – What makes you happy? And take those moments with me to the Victory Lap! Nutrition is important, pacing is important, technique is important, but none of that matters if I’m tense.

And now- in just a few days I can hear the words. “Tara Kreuser, YOU, are an Ironman” My last few nights are high anxiety, my hunger level remains high, and my stomach is going crazy.

…To Be Continued…with the Victory Lap Report!

No comments:

Post a Comment