Thursday, December 23, 2010

CARDIO VACATION


I’m trying a little experiment that I decided is part of prepping for Ironman Training. In 2010, I logged over 5,000 miles running, biking and swimming. As my blog says, I am ADDICTED to endurance. As 2010 is coming to an end, and I have recently been hit with an ear infection that seems to be a little beyond ‘swimmer’s ear’ it’s a good time and idea to rest. It’s time for a CARDIO VACATION!

The idea behind my cardio vacation is I will take a full 7 days off of cardio (or maybe just biking, running and swimming?). My cardio vacation started, Sunday Dec. 18th.

What does one who spends a big chunk of their free time biking/running/swimming do when they are on a Cardio Vacation? This is what this blog entry is all about. I’m curious if I will go stir crazy. I believe I haven’t taken more than 2 days off running since Jen’s Bachelorette party in Vegas, April 2008.


And now the Cardio Vacation Blog:


Day 1: Sunday. Since my ear was super bothersome, I took a day of rest. This doesn’t differ from days that I might take off because I’m extremely hungover. However, this time, I wasn’t extremely hungover, just resting.

Day 2: Monday Morning: Slept in (til 7:30 instead of 5:30-6am wake up). Gotta do the push-up challenge (yes I’m still doing that- I just like to not move from Week 2 day 3 )
Evening: Lindsey offered a private class to some of us at her place. This was THE BEST yoga class of 2010. I thought, maybe I should add another yoga class in on my time off. Even if it’s on my own, with Joyce’s instruction cd she made prior to moving to New York.
After Yoga, I went over to Keri’s to watch the Bears game. I got home around 10:30pm and didn’t feel guilty because guess what- I get to sleep in on Tuesday! I thought, maybe I should add another yoga class in on my time off. Even if it’s on my own, with Joyce’s instruction cd she made prior to moving to New York.

Day 3: Tuesday Morning: Slept in. Had breakfast at home, that didn’t consist of a protein bar. What a concept.
Evening: Starting to feel gross.Bulls game with Mayer Brown- Thinking- maybe I shouldn’t drink much so I can wake up early tomorrow and do Joyce’s yoga CD. I would like to go to some dance class/aerobics class Wednesday night, but I scheduled a Massage at 5:00pm. I really should let the goodness of that soak in. ..Thursday…I wonder if there are still classes available on the 23rd? I wonder if I can find anything around my Parent’s house- HA that’s a joke. Maybe I should allow myself a 6 day rest and on the 7th day- run again? What if I forget how to run?

Day 4: Wednesday Morning: Though Anxious yesterday…still slept in. But did the push up challenge norm.
Evening: Massage!!!! Then walked to pick up my car from the shop, and then… watched a movie and asleep by 9:30. So nice! I’m actually enjoying this. I’m not as hungry but still… I’m starting to get a little nervous about weight gain.

Day 5: Thursday Morning: Decided to walk the stairs in my building up and down, just two times. Makes me feel a little less lazy.
Evening: Was looking into some flirty girl fitness classes, but everyone is out of town already, so I just made plans to go to a class there next week with Keri. The opportunity presented itself to go back to Wisconsin early so I first went shopping at Akira (Merry Christmas to me- Love, Mom and Dad), then made my way back to Wisconsin.

Day 6: Friday Morning: This is the tricky part, I am in Wisconsin. Facilities to workout are limited, and food in my mom’s fridge is plentiful. I decided to have a ‘Tara Made’ aerobics class. LOTS of fun, it’s kind of like dance parties with my niece. Also did the push up challenge and some abs. I’m really close to shortening Cardio Vacation to 6 days long. I will do my best to hold off one more day.
Evening: It was snowing large flakes, which made me really want to run. I figured, I might as well go for a walk. So Mariah Carey’s 2010 Christmas Music andn I went for a winter wonder walk….then it was Christmas Eve :)

Day 7: Saturday: Christmas Day- the Final Day. I decided to continue on with my aerobic routine fun and did that for an hour. Then I found my mom's ab roller....oooh fun! :p I thought about going for a walk, but I feared I might just start running, and I’m so close to finished with this Cardio Vacation, I decided to stay in and eat some cookies.
Day 8: Cardio Vacation is over. I had to define Cardio as Run, Bike or Swim because if I became 100% Sedentary, I really would not have been a nice person. It was a nice 7 days off to not be worried about mileage, but I am ready to run again. I think I’m still not going to log my miles for the remainder of the year. We’ll start a whole new calendar in the New Year.


…now time to go on an 18 to 20 mile run :).

No comments:

Post a Comment