Sunday, May 26, 2013

We are the Crazy people

We Are the Crazy People

State #27
South Dakota
4 Hours 00 Minutes 55 Seconds

While I had the 100 miler last year, and spend many hours at the gym, I have not run a 26.2 Marathon distance in a whole year!  Woah!  I mean, training for the 100 miler I would run the marathon distance almost every weekend and sometimes twice and one weekend, but running to train and running a race is completely different.

I have had a few races I wanted to run this year, but my schedule wasn't working out to fit them in.  For awhile in the winter, the cold got to me and I let my mileage slip a bit.  My goal was to keep conditioned so if I wanted to run a marathon the next weekend, I could.  And that's how it went for South Dakota, signing up 10 days before the race.

The Race wasn't the greatest or that memorable.  I spent less than 24 hours in the state to get the marathon done.  This is all written below, but the title of this blog, has to do more with the friends I've made along the way- since moving back to Wisconsin.  My world of Crazy people.

When I joined the WAC - teaching spin- I didn't realize I would make so many great friends, and so many people like me.  I mean, I have had my friends throughout the fitness world, but only a few were at or above my level of crazy on a consistent basis (You know who you are) when it comes to running/ triathalons.

So who are these crazy people? And how are they all living in Wisconsin?  

I first met Maria while team teaching in Maddy's class.  Half Ironmans are the norm for her right now.  She has struggled with an injury but she has pushed through.  She is smart in her training, listens to her body and incorporates muscle conditioning.   She has done the American Triple T and the Ironman.  Running is her weak point, so as she has helped me/motivated me on the swim, I hope to finally start getting her motivated on running.

Then there was Nicole, she asked me to be her co-instructor for Tri-Fit, and I learned a great amount from her in this time as well as became friends.   Again, another Triathlete, and as most trainer mentalities go- she is able to push through the fatigue.
 I met Patsy around the same time, and then Keith.  Patsy and I are alike where we can get a little negative as we run if we feel we are holding people back. And since I was putting in tons of miles, I made sure she knew that I would rather run some with Keith and Nicole, and then more with her- at whatever pace, than run alone. So Keith, Nicole and I would run first, and put in some miles, then Patsy and I would run after. Because I made my running friends, I now was back up in my mileage running 18 to 22 miles a weekend.


Then there is Danielle, she is me, 5 years ago!   Super dedicated to my miles, and unable to accept a rest day as good for the body.   Been there done that (Hoping with time she finds the Balance ;) )  We are more of biking buddies, as she has been recovering from an injury so her running miles have been down.

Then There is Correen a competitive triathlete.   She has a goal to complete a triathalon in every state.  Doesn't matter the distance and I believe she has done a few x-terra triathalons, so style doesn't matter either, you just have to swim bike run in some way shape or form.

When Nicole, Keith and Patsy went to Nashville for the half, Correen and I started to run together. Correen is another great running partner. There is something to be said about Personal Trainers that run. They embrace the mentality of always pushing yourself and not giving up. I know I'm working on getting certified in personal training, but I still have so much to learn running with Correen and Nicole.

Now that I've introduced the crazy people, a little more about the montns leading up to the race and the race itself.
My weekday miles were down as I had so much cross training in.  My goal was at least 30 miles a week.  I was teaching at least 4 spin classes a week, and peaked at 11 classes in one week.  Between Yoga, or Muscle Conditioning Classes, the Spin Classes, Running and swimming, I was putting in 10to 22 hours of working out a week.  So 30 miles a week seemed to be good.

As I signed up 10 days before the race, I knew this wouldn't be a Boston qualifier- no proper taper.  So I ended up still running 16 miles with Correen and Nicole the week before.  This was such a great run.  It was just what I needed- time with these girls!   I'm usually the talker, but they both talked most of the time.  They also hadn't run 16 miles in awhile, so I thought I would be the one kicking it in at the end while they tired out.  We ran a course that had a decent amount of hills.  On our way back (out and back) I thought we were about to slow down. We talked about taking the last 3 big bad hills easy.  Then Correen mentioned we stop at the gas station (refill water) and get energy to power up those hills.   Power up sure enough we did.  We were in our last 2 miles, and the pace didn't slow.   As we were just over a mile left, Nicole said "I'm tired, I just want to be done"  ...and usually for me that means I'm ready to slow it down and just take it easy since we are almost done, but for Nicole, this meant pick up the pace.    And so the three of us all did.   At one point I thought, "Man I'm going to puke with this 16th mile kick it!"   I think we averaged an 8:30 with hills, but our last mile was sub 7:30.  Way to go girls!
So, a few days before the Marathon, I started to feel sick (typical right!?).  My throat was hurting Thursday, and my brain was fried.  Every time I would go to study, I would fall asleep on my book.  Every time I would get up and move, I would just want to sit down or go back to bed.   Luckily, I had to teach spin that night, and teaching spin always gives me energy, no matter how bad I feel.   So for the most part I was feeling a little better after that class.

Friday I woke up and went on my way to South Dakota, but now it really hurt to swallow.    ...of course curiosity struck so I looked at the back of my throat, and my tonsils weren't pretty.  I didn't think it was strep because it has looked like that before and the strep test came out negative.  But i started to take in the fluids like a crazy person.  I was also taking as much tylenol/alieve as possible to keep the pain level down. 

I wasn't hungry- which actually I hadn't been hungry since Wednesday so that wasn't anything new except I felt like I should be eating before the marathon.   I just drank my food- V-8, Orange Juice, Water, Airborne.
I got to Brookings, South Dakota, checked into my hotel, and my head was just so groggy and not clear.   So I knew I should get to bed as early as possible.

I went to Wal-Mart picked up more drugs, fluids and a throw away shirt.  The expo was uneventful.  The marathon itself has a limit of 300 people running it.  The city is mostly big box shops, but there was a few cute places to eat, I ate at some market something or another place across from the South Dakota Children's museum.  It was real good!    I had some brothy soup which was so great for my throat, and tried eating noodles. 

I got back to my hotel, laid out my stuff for the next day.  I figured if it was 40 to 50 I would be fine with a tank under a throw away and shorts.

I laid in bed, but wasn't ready to fall asleep.  Once I fell asleep, I was up every hour going to the bathroom, but also drinking more fluids.  I didn't care if I was waking up- I just wanted one last chance to flush the sickness out of me.  I woke up around 4:45 am, and got ready quickly.   The tonsils weren't as big, but they still looked gross.   I got dressed, and gargled my mouth out with salt water one more time, had some coffee, and my leftovers from the night before.   ...more fluids... and I was on my way.  When I stepped outside, the weather felt good, and I thought, for the sun not being up yet, I was definitely dressed right.

The race started at 7, but i wanted to park my car a little ways from the start, but easy to leave after, so I could get on my way, as I had to be checked out of the hotel by Noon, and be on my way to my Brother's.  I thought I might have traffic issues- thinking of some smaller races I have done, but really, those were just regular size marathons.  I pretty much got there and parked without an issue in 5 minutes.  Now I had a lot of time to kill, so I figured I would hang out in the car until 6:15.

Once I left the car, I walked to the start which took 10 minutes, so there was time to kill.   Now I could feel the wind.  it was cold.  i was cold.  I was close to freezing!    I got out of the wind and tried to think warm thoughts.  I was texting with Rachel passing the time.

10 minutes to the start- I go to the start with others.   I talked to a man from Chicago, also doing the 50 states goal.  I knew i didn't want to run with this guy the whole way, as it would drive me crazy, but I figured I would start with him.

So, the race started.   Mile 1:  I talked with that guy but he wanted to hang at a 9minute pace to start, and I like to go whatever is comfortable - allowing for room to slow down later.   Mile 2 and 3- I decided to have Correen join me on my run, by playing her favorite song on repeat. (Can't hold us by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis).  This put me in a fast pace.  We were running around the college area.

I haven't mentioned- the race is pretty much contained in a 3 mile by 3 mile area with lots of turns back and forth and around.

At one point we turned a corner and the wind picked up and took my hat with it.  I caught it before losing it, and tried to put it back on and keep it on my head.   After a few attempts, I realized there was no point in trying.   I still had a good pace going, just a little annoyed with the wind.  Luckily there were so many turns, the wind wasn't straight head on all the time- we would have breaks.  At mile 8, I decided to turn off the music and just take in the run.  Around Mile 9 we had a short but steep hill to climb.  I powered on up this hill and decided to keep music off for another hour.   Then around mile 12 we parted ways with the half marathoners.   My legs were already getting sore, but I was trying to power on through.   There came a point I thought about getting rid of my throw-away, but decided not to.

There were about 15 water stations along the course, however, it was water and powerade.  I feel like Powerade is one of the least effective sports drinks they could have.  I also then realized I wasn't really prepared!  I didn't bring any electrolyte tabs.  And with how sick I had been, I should have.

We ran alongside a railroad track for a bit,  This was probably my favorite part.  We turned and the wind was at my back we were running around an open field.  And then we turned, and the wind hit real hard, and I was cold.  

  At one point, my hands became so cold they were numb.   And I was hurting.  It's around the half marathon mark, you can tell what kind of race it will be.  And I knew, this wasn't one to be about time.  It also wouldn't be in my top 10 favorite runs, so it was just about checking off the state.

The wind was really not fun to fight. And though my hands were numb, around mile 18 I finally decided to surrender and get my head in a happy place by checking my phone.   Danielle had texted to check in, and we texted some.   I think her first text, since my hands were frozen just said "Sucks"   I decided I would try to run more, so I did.  If I wasn't directly in the wind, I was fine, but every time I turned into that wind, I just gave up.   Luckily I wasn't the only one.  I chatted with two others at two different points, also both 50 staters... I think anyone running 50 states, knew they didn't have to make this a rock star race, so we were just trying to find ways to enjoy it.  

I wasn't moving super slow, but I wasn't fast, and I was walking waters and wind.  I was counting down the miles. 6 to go, 5 to go, 4, 3....   It looked like I wasn't going to make sub 4 hours, but something clicked with just under 2 miles to go.   I really wanted to pick it back up and be done. It was like Nicole was with me, and her annoying "I'm tired lets run faster"  mentality kicked in.  Trying to change my old ways- with my Mental game..I didn't allow any more walking.  I just ran.  I pushed through the pain, I picked it up.  I just made it through.   I finished the race in just over 4 hours.  I was annoyed that I didn't get sub 4 hours, but I was also proud of my marathon.

Now, as this is a state I just crossed off...just had to get it done.  I needed to get a race in for 2013 and I did.   I literally crossed the finish, got my medal and then turned towards my car and walked that half mile, got in my car and left.   I was in South Dakota for about 20 hours.

I showered, and I made my way to my brother's.  Now I know that sounds like an uneventful marathon, but it was an accomplishment to the greater goal.  Sometimes, you just gotta cross a state off.  The race was cheap, I didn't have to pay for a flight, and I was able to see my family thereafter.  So all in all, a successful race. 

Thank you to my New Crazy friends.  I'm looking forward to my future races because I know I have some great training partners!  South Dakota wasn't the greatest- but look out fall races!

No comments:

Post a Comment