Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Ironman Wisconsin - The Journey Part 1

Over the next year, the blog is getting some additional writings.

On Monday, Sept. 13, 2010, the Wisconsin Ironman opened the 2011 registration.

If you don't know, the Wisconsin Ironman sells out within minutes, maybe even seconds of it opening up for regitrations online. There are other ways to get a slot:
1) The current years participants can sign up actually the day before that year's Ironman. (So next year, I could register for 2011, the day before I actually complete the Ironman)
2) If you volunteer for the Ironman, you get first in line when in person registration opens up.
3) After the volunteers get to line up and register, then everyone else can line up to register in person.
4) THEN finally, after all this, it opens up online.
(You can also pay something like an additonal $1,000 or something like that for other charity slots).

What this means, is you really should be there in person, otherwise you are gambling on slots still being open. My schedule didn't allow this since I had my California/Alaska trip planned. So, I had to take a gamble.

The Journey for the Ironman, starts the moment you register. The adrenaline rush that hit me leading to signing up was ridiculous. I watched that clock tick down to 10:00am (PDT). I tried to register earlier, but it wasn't until 10:00am hit the clocks, that you could register.

Once it opened I went to business. It wasn't your typical registration. They asked all sorts of questions for purposes of publishing. I just wanted to confirm my entry, so all i kept typing on all the questions was "i'm a 50 stater" and managed to say something like that to each question.

I figure since it's a year long journey of the ironman, I'd write a few updates along the way.

So expenses thus far? Registration: $614.43
That's enough to remember this is serious business. You must train enough to be ready and make it to the finish, but not too much where you get injured. Easy enough? Right?

Well see....

No comments:

Post a Comment